Australia plans to prevent some new immigrants from staying in its biggest cities, Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, for "at least a few years" to ease congestion in urban areas, an Australian minister said on Tuesday.
"We aim to reduce population pressure from the big three cities and achieve faster growth for smaller states and regions," said Alan Tidge, the minister of urban infrastructure and population, in a speech in Melbourne.
He gave no details on how to apply the policy, but noted that it might include incentives.
"Conditions for residency visas can also be set in a particular area even for a few years," he said.
With immigration expected to be an important issue in the upcoming elections, the plan seeks to help solve infrastructure problems in cities with high population density.
Critics of the plan expressed concern that the proposed new visa rules would lead to a shortage of workers.
Some 70 percent of the 186,000 immigrants who settled in Australia last year have arrived with visas for skilled migrants, almost all of whom have moved to Sydney or Melbourne, according to government data.
There are currently no restrictions on where individuals can settle after obtaining a skilled immigrant visa.
The new plan could affect about 40 percent of migrants with the skills needed and looking for work after arrival.
The plan identifies five cities: Darwin, Perth, Hubert, Adelaide and Canberra as regional centers where migrants can settle.
Politicians in some regional centers and rural areas have been trying for years to stabilize more skilled workers in their towns to ensure their survival.
An official at the office, speaking on condition of anonymity, said immigrants could be prevented from staying in major cities for up to five years.
It was unclear whether the plan would withstand a legal challenge.
