The International Police Organization (Interpol) said in a statement on Friday that it was aware of reports of "alleged disappearance" of the organization's president, Ming Hongwei, adding that the case was a matter for the relevant authorities in France and China.
"This is a matter for the relevant authorities in France and China," the statement said, adding that the organization's secretary-general, not Ming, was in charge of running its daily affairs.
Earlier in the day, French police opened an investigation in cooperation with INTERPOL to find out where Ming was, after informing his wife that he had been missing since traveling to his native China last week.
According to police sources, Ming's wife, who lives in Lyon, where Interpol is headquartered, contacted police after her husband did not communicate with her since he left for China on Sept. 29.
Radio Europe 1 was the first to broadcast the report.
Ming has held several senior positions in China, including Deputy Minister of Public Security before taking office.
He was elected president of Interpol in 2016. Human rights groups expressed concern at the time that Beijing would try to use Ming's post as head of the organization to track dissidents living abroad.
For many years, Beijing has tried to push foreign countries to help them arrest and deport Chinese citizens they accuse of crimes including corruption and terrorism.
